Foods To Avoid With Braces & What You Can Eat Early On
Wondering which foods to avoid with braces right after you get them? Whether you’re a teenager or an adult, getting braces can be a big step towards having a confident smile and excellent oral health. The treatment time for braces can vary but is usually about two years, depending on the orthodontics plan.
During that time, it is important to care for your braces properly; a big part of that depends on what you eat. If careless with your food choices, you could break wires and brackets or even cause staining and decay around your braces. But don’t worry; we have a quick checklist of what foods to avoid with braces.
What Foods To Avoid With Braces Right After You Get Them
- Ice Cream – The Cold Will Be Uncomfortable On Your Teeth
- Hot Soup – Your Teeth Will Be Very Sensitive
- Hard Vegetables, Candy, Nuts Or Fruit
Aside from foods with extreme temperatures, avoid foods that pressure your teeth for the first several days
Foods To Avoid With Braces Day-To-Day
Once the first week is over, your list of safe foods expands quite a bit, but remember it might be uncomfortable to bite into certain foods, including hamburgers or sandwiches. Cutting up these foods will relieve the pressure and allow you to enjoy them. Cutting them up will also help limit the times you need to visit your orthodontist’s office for broken wires or brackets. Of course, some foods will still be on the no list, even if you cut them up. Here is a quick checklist of some foods to avoid with braces.
- Ribs, Chicken Wings – Biting Into A Bone Could Cause Damage To Your Braces. Cutting The Meat Off The Bone Can Be A Solution In A Pinch.
- Say NO To Popcorn
- Pizza Crust
- Hard Tacos
- Hard Sticky Candy & Gum – This Is Very Important!
- Hard Bread – Pizza Crust, Bagels
- Corn On The Cob – Always Cut The Corn Off The Cob
- Hard Chips Or Pretzels
- Soft Drinks & Other Sugary Drinks – This Won’t Hurt Your Teeth, But It Can Cause Issues. Because You Can’t Brush Your Teeth As Thoroughly As Before, Sugar Can Get Into Those Hard-To-Reach Places Around The Braces & Cause Staining And Decay.
What To Eat With Braces
When you first get your braces on, it can be very uncomfortable. Not only do you have new hardware in your mouth that you need to get used to, but it also hurts. The good news is this uncomfortable feeling will only last for a few days. However, finding the food you can eat without putting pressure on your teeth can be even more challenging in those first days.
Don’t worry. There are many options to carry you through the next couple of days. Anything soft will be ideal for the first few days after your braces are installed or even after each tightening. Also, watch extreme temperatures in your food for the first few days because your teeth will be sensitive.
Foods You Can Eat Right After Getting Braces
- Soft Fruit Such As Bananas – Make Sure To Cut Them Up So You Don’t Have To Bite Them Apart
- Lukewarm Soups – Any Kind Of As Long As There Isn’t Anything Hard To Chew In It
- Pasta – Any Kind, But Smaller Kinds Like Elbow Pasta Would Be Ideal
- Mashed Potatoes
- Soft Vegetables, Including Mashed Potatoes & Avocado
- Cooked Oatmeal
- Scrambled Eggs
How To Care For Your Braces
Now that you have figured out what foods to avoid with braces and what is safe to eat, it is vital to make sure you clean your teeth properly after each meal:
- Brushing with a soft toothbrush or one specifically for braces is best
- Invest in a water flosser/pick because they are ideal for getting into those hard-to-reach places in and around the wires and hardware of the braces.
- Always use mouthwash because it reaches the hidden bacteria in your mouth.
If you have questions about oral care or want to discuss any other dental-related questions, please reach out to our team at Legacy Orthodontics.